Bhubble.com

Old Town Rossland

Enough Old Town Rossland! Who started this ridiculous name and why is council, Rossland news and others starting to use it. We live in a community and the areas of residence are Redstone, Red Mt. and Rossland. We are know around the world as Rossland. I was born and raised here and I find it an insult when people use the term old town Rossland!  Where is new town? Why not just Rossland, it’s worked for 125 years.
WV

I totally agree!!!  Old Town is a negative vision for outsiders AND a slap in the face for long time residents who have been a part of building a "Progressive " town. We are a town of young enrgetic people who are proud to say " We are from Rossland".

i cringe every time I hear this.  Who the hell came up with it.  please make it stop. 

No idea what the point of the name is, why it's being used. But just to note: any place I've been to where there was an old town, the old town was the most beautiful part of the city. Preserved old architecture and shops and cafes blah blah blah. Point is: not usually a negative connotation.

The name Rossland works just fine. We have names for various neighbourhoods, that's enough. Who's wack idea was this?

I agree with Aaron: usually the most historic and beautiful part of cities (eg Old Montreal, Old Quebec City).  

" Old Ymir"

Larger cities like Montreal and Quebec City have huge areas that were built around the huge "old" parts..and their history goes back a few hundred years more than anything in the west. Rossland has "old" bits scattered everywhere, as people who buy here can tell you....so I don't think picking out a small bit of a small town amounts to the same kind of individualistic significance. Vancouver, a much larger town with older parts has no such designation ("old" Vancouver??).....Gas Town, Yaletown etc are just known/talked about and "nurtured " as the older parts of that city. And it makes a much more interesting walkabout when you have history in many places rather than, say, a block or two.  

Y'all obviously have too much free time on your hands if this is a big enough problem to be bloviating about it on Bhubble.

As far as I can tell, the only time this "old town" designation is being used is in municipal publications about zoning and bylaws to differentiate between more tourist-oriented development at Redstone and Red Mountain and the more residential, community-oriented development in (gasp)... the old, original part of Rossland. Not sure why this is seen as some sort of insult to our town?

Also, if this really bothers you, I'm sure Council would be happy to hear your input at their next meeting, and I'm sure various organizations around town would love an extra hand to assist with marketing and promotions! Moaning about it anonymously on the internet is unlikely to get you heard by many people, let alone make any changes. 

In agreement with this term being obliviated. It is Rossland -- upper/lower...period.

In recognition to any idigenous peoples that traveled in the region, this too can be repectively acknowleged. 

If "Old Town Rossland" is used, then it only follows that "Council, Rossland News and others" must use: 

- Old Red Mountain Ski Club

- Old Rossland Trail Golf & Country Club

William judging people for posting online while posting online himself. A true Old Town Rosslander