Bhubble.com

Moving houses - looking for internet provider recommendation

Moving homes in Rossland and need to start with a new internet provider. 

what are your thoughts and experiences with the available providers??

thanks!

We live in Upper Rossland near the skate park. We've been with Shaw for 6 years now with virtually no issues. This includes a 2 year stint with two remote workers, at times concurently running Zoom meetings, etc. 

At one point we tried looking into TekSavvy, or one of the other discount companies that use Shaw infrastructure, but if I recall correctly, when we inquired, they didn't/couldn't service our address. But given our positive experience with Shaw, we've been happy to continue. 

In saying all that, I was recently out with bunch of other people who were complaining about Shaw, I think the common theme was maybe they were in lower Rossland. I think in similar discussions online, there has been a very geographical divide on quality of service. It might sound wierd, but maybe canvas your new neighbors for experience. 

We are near downtown and with Tech Savvy.  They run off Shaw lines. Same level of service, lower price and we've been with them maybe 3 years now(?) with no issues.  The outages we've had had coincided with Shaw outage and they haven't happened often (maybe once or twice a year) and only for short period of time.

My household is downtown and switched over to Shaw 8 years ago after endless problems with Telus. We have experienced very few issues since then. Look into Lightspeed as well.  They run off Shaw lines at a much lower price. We are in the process of switching over now after hearing very good things.

Have been with Lightspeed cable for 7 years now. Vitrually the same service as Shaw. Teksavvy put themselves up for sale last summer but nothing has happened with them. Said they couldn't compete after the CRTC reversed a decision that capped the rates that the independents had to pay the big carriers for use of their network. Only real downside dropping Shaw is losing shaw hotspots. That and Lightspeed can't tell you what is going in the case of an outage as Shaw won't tell them. You have to rely on Shaw customers posting online to find out what is happening. Don't know if anyone will ever run fibre to Rossland homes now that the CBT has run it to downtown. Telus can't provide higher speeds without it.

I am on First Avenue and use Secure by Design - it's a local business in Nelson that uses the same lines as the bigger carriers. No problems to report, aside from rare outages when everyone else goes down too. Price was substantially better than any of the big telecom firms and service is the same or better.