Bhubble.com

Ebike commuting to Trail in winter?

Looking for insight into winter commuting to Trail with an Ebike.

Personally, I don't think it is realistic given that, as far as I know, there are no plowed/groomed trails from Rossland to Warfield. Does anybody know what's going on with the improved Wagon Road winter-wise?

I think it would be suicidal to use the highway once now starts falling on a regular basis but, maybe one of you does commute so anyway? How do you manage with traffic on slippery surfaces and plows?

So many more questions... any insight is appreciated!

Cheers,

Jorge.

Photos: 

Good questions.  It would be ideal to have a year round active transportation route, separated from motor vehicles...with reasonable gradients (ie, not through West Trail on the 20-30% gradient Reservoir Road, which also adds a lot of time to the commute to Warfield).

I guess the demand for a safe winter route would need to be there to justify a snow/fat bike groom.  

This active transportation survey is still open and it would be great to have lots of input:

https://trail.ca/en/inside-city-hall/active-transporation-plan.aspx?fbclid=IwAR0Li-CZiql64FvbL62LUCuvrB8SMQIntZE9hTNwLv5gadD3z-8jXEPevkw

I personally am deterred by downtown afternoon highway 3b rush hour traffic and the length of time added to the commute back up the hill if I go via West Trail, which avoids highway 3B.  I would much rather stick to the highway and get home quicker.  But right now, getting from downtown Trail to the gulch involves 2 left hand turns, and crossing 2 lanes of sometimes heavy traffic.  Even e-bikes can't keep pace and merge with the traffic.  4 pm traffic in Trail is a far cry from traffic encountered during a Sunday or Wednesday evening group ride.  So the alternative to access the gulch is riding on a sidewalk, with a dropoff and no barrier between you and 4 lanes of traffic, and a concrete/rock wall on the other side.  I haven't yet found a safe route through this area that lets me stay pedalling my bike on the road, and avoid sidewalks and mixing with pedestrians.  Riding on the highway here is dodgy at best, because if you can't keep pace with the traffic and take the whole lane, you risk getting squeezed, with no escape due to the sidewalk drop (unless you are like Sagan and can bunny hop curbs on a road bike...)

Sorry, I should clarify my comments about the commute home are about snow-free times of the year.  I don't dare ride on highway with traffic that could not brake quickly enough without skidding when needed.  I barely trust the drivers as is when I am protected by metal and air bags!

So I would like to see a separate bike lane along highway 22 section to connects the McDonald's intersection to the turnoff onto 3b to Rossland (it's fine the other direction as I can keep pace with cars and only have to turn right).  Once at that light, if not safe to cross 2 traffic lanes to turn left, one could use a pedestrian crossing to safely get over to 3b.  Or carry on and use the paved shoulder up to Teck

There is a missing link, and I don't think the City of Trail has plans to do anything here.  I hope I am wrong!

Thanks, keep them coming, commuters.

anybody else?