Bhubble.com

Heat Pump experience

Hi all

wondering if anyone has switched to a central ducted heat pump and to hear about their experience? 
some of the things I am wondering about:

cost of installation?

cost of operation?

experience with rebate system?

function (as in, does it keep ha warm/cool?)

ability to find contracto for install?

happy to see responses here or via text/call at 825 365 7292

thanks for your help.

Hi Matt, Not sure if you've seen this but the Sustainability Commission did a talk on heat pumps a couple months ago. You can find it here. Hope it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lvabKrfqBw

Curlew Refrigeration has had a good response time when I had furnace issues and I was looking for a heat pump. depending on how much energy efficiency you want cost can be as low as $5000ish or well over 10 for air source.  The Better Homes BC grants are either $1200 (SEER 15) or $2000 (SEER 16).  More straightforward to get a rebate after paying upfront.  But it still didn't make it cost effective enough for me to consider.  Central a/c unit, run for maybe 3-4 weeks per year, or portable units still came out as more cost effective for cooling.

As far as heating bill savings, I've had air an source heat pump and natural gas furnace combo before...and honestly it didn't seem to lower heating bills all that much during winter.  I don't have experience with the more expensive ones.  Currently I keep electric furnace heat bills low by space heating in the room that has the thermostat, and using passive solar.   

There is a new Income Qualified Grant through Better Homes BC....but unfortunately the only "registered" contractor for our area is Cdn Aerothermal...and their prices may still make this grant not enough to make heat pumps affordable for lower income households.  Got a lot to spend and want a ductless system?  They are your people. On paper that grant sounds great...but In reality they make the "registration" process for contractors difficult and no one else has registered to be able to administer this "direct pay" grant.

https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy-efficiency/homes/canada-greener-homes-grant/start-your-energy-efficient-retrofits/plan-document-and-complete-your-home-retrofits/eligible-grants-for-my-home-retrofit/23504

This seems like the best program right now though you do have to pay upfront for an energy audit. After you do your upgrades you are eligible to get $600 back. Max grants back $5,600.00

FortisBC has rebates available but it is tied to income and your back up heat source has to be electric to qualify. As well after July 31, 2022 the company has to be certified (list here)https://betterhomesbc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/HPCN-Heat-Pump-Contractors-In-Progress-May-03-2022.pdf

There is Betterhomesbc.ca but again tied to income level and lower rebates.

We are still in the planning process of choosing a heat pump. We had our energy audit, waiting for quote from the contractor. 

Thanks So much for the input. I really appreciate it. I was at that talk and it got me thinking about a heat pump but I don't remember hearing from people in Rossland who had actually switched and what that process was like for the and how well it worked for them over the winter/how much it cost them vs natural gas. We had our energy audit as well. Have been planning on the grants as described above and it sounds like they are as cumbersome as I thought they might be. 
also good to know of the limited number of contractors in the area. I was worried that might be the case.